Indonesia ratified the Convention on Biological Diversity on Law No. 5 year of 1994. CBD regulate the modern biotechnology-safety implementation on article 8 letter (g), article 17, and article 19 clause (3) and clause (4), to mandate the protocol that regulate the cross-border activity, handling and utilization of Genetically Modified Organism as the modern biotechnology product.
Based on the articles, Parties of CBD negotiate the protocol on biodiversity safety since 1995 and adopted in 2000 in the fifth Conference of the Parties in Nairobi.
Cartagena Protocol is the agreement of Parties to regulate the cross-border activities (including handling and utilization) of living organism produced by the modern biotechnology (Genetically Modified Organism) from one country to other by a person or an institution.
The goals are to guarantee the protection level on transit, handling and safe utilization from the cross-border Genetically Modified Organism. The protection level is carried out to avoid the negative impact toward preservation and sustainable utilization of biodiversity and the risk to human health.
Countries that signed and ratified the Cartagena Protocol named as Parties and they are 134 so far.
On 16 August 2004, Indonesia ratified the Cartagena Protocol on Law No.21, the ratification of Cartagena Protocol on Biosafety to the Convention on Biological Diversity.
As a country that ratified the Cartagena Protocol, Indonesia has been done many things, among them:
- Ratified Cartagena Protocol with Law No. 21 / 2004 concerning Cartagena Protocol on Biosafety to the Convention on Biological Diversity.
- Ministry of Environment Office as the National Focal Point for Cartagena Protocol.
- Department and Non-Department National Institution correspond to their main task and function acted as the Competence National Authority of Cartagena Protocol.
- Government Regulation (PP) No.21/2005 of Bio-Safety of Genetically Modified Product.
- 5. Develop the National BioSafety Framework; Develop the Biosafety Clearing House (http://www/indonesiabch.org)
With the ratification on Cartagena Protocol, Indonesia will adopt the protocol as the basis national law that detailed on regulation frame and institution, therefore, will be able to:
- Access the information on Genetically Modified Organism Product.
- Improve the preservation and sustainable utilization of biodiversity.
- Gaining the optimum benefits on the updated safely biotechnology implementation from the negative impact on biodiversity and human health.
- Strengthen the monitoring of cross-border Genetically Modified Organism Product. Indonesia has the second longest coastline in the world that potentially become the border of in and out of the product illegally.
- Preparing the regional capacity in active participation on monitoring and decision making toward the cross-border Genetically Modified Organism Product.
- To embody the collaboration between countries in emergency act to handle the danger that happen because of the accidentally of Genetically Modified Organism Product cross-border.
- Improving the capacity of the institution and human resources in biosafety both in national and regional level.
- Strengthen national and regional coordination especially toward the comprehensive understanding of all government institutions toward the cross-border Genetically Modified Organism Product that can bring negative impact to Indonesia biosafety. The coordination also embracing the representation of Republic of Indonesia abroad as the frontline and bridging the information traffic toward the biotechnology.
- Building the international collaboration in preventing the illegal trade of Genetically Modified Organism Product.
Detail information on Cartagena Protocol Implementation in Indonesia among other updated information related to genetically resources, accessible on: